Home

Glen Arbor Disaster Relief 2015
F.A.Q.

 

Leelanau County Disaster Relief Hotline (231) 256-8104

Q: Is there a resource to get rid of the trees and brush from my property?

A: While homeowners are usually responsible for their own debris, we are working hard to come up with a resolution because of this exceptional situation. This is a work in progress, and we will post any developments related to debris pickup here on our website or Facebook page.

Q: Where can I drop off tree debris?

A: Effective, Monday, August 17, a portion of Miles Kimmerly Park will be open to the public as a drop-off center for wood debris only for residents with cars, trailers and pick-up vehicles. The Park is located 1.5 miles west of Maple City on Co. Road 616.

Commercial trucks, contractors and dump truck operators are advised to take large loads to Kasson Sand and Gravel located at 10282 S Pierce Rd. in Maple City. The cost is $6.00 per cubic yard.  Their site is open M-F 7:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. 

Because the Miles Kimmerly location is now open, the Harwood Rd. dropoff location is now restricted to the NPS and is no longer for public use.

Q: What kind of assistance is being provided?

A: At this point, a local state of emergency has been declared. Our area will receive more funding if this status is officially recognized by the state, but this is still under review. The township has allocated $100,000 to relief efforts; 80% of these funds will go towards tree and brush removal, with the other 20% allocated towards a replanting effort. We are now accepting tax-deductible donations via the PayPal link below this FAQ.
UPDATE:  At 5:00 PM on Friday, August 14, 2015, Governer Snyder added Lelanau County to the Disaster Declaration.  We are awaiting word on how this delcaration will impact Glen Arbor Township.

Q: My property borders NPS land, and trees from the National Park are on my property. Do I have the right to remove them?

A: If the trees have fallen on your property, then yes, you may remove them. In addition, residents may cut wood within the public road right of way (up to 33' from the center line of the road).

Q: What kind of work has been completed in the area so far?

A: Starting immediately after the storm, the Glen Lake Fire Department began a township-wide assessment of 2,330 structures – which includes every home in the township. Local volunteer task forces have also been out to assess the damage. While there is still much work to be done, Glen Arbor businesses are open and running as usual.

Q: What other services are being offered in the Glen Arbor area?

A: For those of you who have spoiled food that was not picked up during regular trash pickups this week, you may take it to dumpsters located in the parking lot of the Glen Arbor Park, adjacent to the tennis courts. These dumpsters will be on-site until Friday, August 14. No brush or househould trash/debris will be accepted here, it is solely for food waste.

On Pine St. behind Leelanau Coffee Roasting Co., you will also notice large piles of woodchips. These chips are free to the public and available for pickup with your own equipment.

Q: Is there a way I can contribute?

A: We are now accepting tax deductible donations. A board of 5 members has been assigned by the Township to manage and allocate all funds received. These funds will go towards local cleanup efforts (tree and brush removal), as well as a replanting initiative across our area. Please provide your correct mailing address when making a donation through the link below so that we may mail you a receipt. Thank you!

 

 

 

Leelanau County Press Release 8/19/15:  Debris drop-off sites

 

Leelanau County Press Release 8/19/15:  Weather Warning

 

All regularly scheduled Town Hall events will resume the week of 8/17, including the Farmers Market from 9am-1pm on 8/18.

 

 

Special Board Meeting

Wednesday, August 27, 2015, at 9:00 AM

at the Public Safety Building

 Audit & Emergency Services Budget

 

Public Hearing

Wednesday, September 9, 2015, at 7:00 PM

Emergency Services Budget

 

 

Master Plan Draft Review

The Planning Commission invites the public to participate in a review of the Master Plan.

The meeting will be held at 7:00 PM on August 20, 2015 in the Town Hall gym.

Download our working draft, read, and come and make comments!

                                                       Draft Master Plan 06.30.15

                                                       Appendix 1. Public Participation

 

Town HallTown Hall  

Photos by Terry Gretzema

Points of Interest

The following Points of Interest are outside links.

Glen Lake Fire Department Blog
Glen Lake Chamber of Commerce

LIAA (Land Information Access Association)
LGCC (Leelanau Government & Community Center)

 

Click for Glen Arbor, Michigan Forecast